vets in bath
Animals may be carrying large numbers of parasitic worms in their stomach or intestines without showing any symptoms. Infective stages of the common parasites survive for a long time in the environment and after treatment re-infection occurs frequently. Although some animals may show no signs of infection the symptoms can range from general ill-health with a dull coat, occasional vomiting through to anaemia, intestinal obstruction and death. Some worms are also transmissible to humans. It is therefore important to carry out routine treatment against the most common worms.
Infection occurs through ingestion of eggs in the environment eg. eating faeces, grass or from grooming another animal and is transmissible from mother to offspring in milk. Ingestion of the eggs by humans can lead to potentially serious conditions including blindness so regular worming of pets and good hand hygiene is essential to reduce risk.
There are a number of different types and can be transferred by fleas and eaten in raw meat.
These enter the host through ingestion of infective larvae or penetration of the larvae through the skin.
These affect dogs and are ingested in faeces.
These are contracted through the ingestion of slugs and snails.
As this uses the mosquito for transmission it is not seen in the UK but it is necessary to ensure that any pet travelling abroad is protected.
There are many products available for the treatment against worm infestation and the choice of product and route of administration will depend on the circumstances of the client and pet. We stock a number of products including tablets, oral liquid or spot ons. The products we stock are 'prescription only' and require pets to be examined yearly.